Read and answer the questions below for “Genesis and Catastrophe” and “The Monkey’s Paw.”
The Monkey Paw
Write at least three complete sentences to answer each question.
- What does the word “fate” mean to you? Do you believe in fate? Explain.
- What is probably upsetting the sergeant-major about the White family’s lightheartedness toward the paw?
- What was the first man’s third wish?
- Why doesn’t Mr. White know what to wish for? What is Mr. White’s first wish?
- What are the family’s feelings about the wish in the morning?
- Why does Mrs. White want the monkey’s paw? What is the second wish?
- What do you suppose was the final wish?
“Genesis and Catastrophe” Questions
- How do you feel at the beginning of the story when Klara is describing all the children she’s lost? How do your feelings change when you find out the couple’s last name?
- Write down 3 words to describe the husband, Alois. What similarities does he seem to have with his new born son from what we now know about his son’s adult life?
- Consider the overall question of whether humans are born good or born evil. What answer does this story seem to suggest?