Unit 1 Discussion – Introduction to Nursing Theory and Certification
Unit 1 Discussion [Due Wednesday]
Introduction to Nursing Theory and Certification
It is anticipated that the initial discussion response should be in the range of 250-300 words. Response posts must demonstrate topic knowledge and scholarly engagement with peers. This is not the only criteria utilized for evaluation; substantive content is imperative. All questions in the topic must be addressed. Please proofread your response carefully for grammar and spelling. Do not upload any attachments. All responses need to be supported by a minimum of one scholarly resource. Journals and websites must be cited appropriately. Citation and reference must adhere to APA format.
Students are expected to initially address the discussion question by Wednesday of each week. Participation in the discussion forums is expected with a minimum total of three (3) substantive postings (this includes your initial posting and posting to two peers) on three (3) different days per week. Substantive means that you add something new to the discussion, you aren’t just agreeing. This is also a time to ask questions or offer information surrounding the topic addressed by your peers. Personal experience is appropriate for a substantive discussion and should be correlated to the literature.
All discussion boards will be evaluated utilizing rubric criterion inclusive of content, analysis, collaboration, writing and APA. If you fail to post an initial discussion you will not receive these points, you may however post to your peers for partial credit following the guidelines above. Due to the nature of this type of assignment and the need for timely responses for initial posts and posting to peers, the Make-Up Coursework Policy (effective July 2017) does not apply to Discussion Board Participation.
Discussion Question/Prompt [Due Wednesday]
Please complete the following steps for your initial discussion post:
- Watch the NU 500 Certification Success Presentation
- Visit the websites of the organizations that offer certification exams for your specialty MSN track- NE, NLA, FNP, or PMHNP by clicking on the links below. (BSN students, choose one specialty track of interest- FNP, NE or NLA, or PMHNP).
- PMHNP: ANCC (Links to an external site.)
- Compare and summarize the requirements that are needed to be eligible for the exam(s) in your chosen specialty track.
- Describe the value of certification in your chosen specialty track.
- How can certification enhance your career goals for professional advancement in nursing?
- How can application of nursing theory benefit you personally and empower/advance the nursing profession as a whole?
Responses need to address all components of the question, demonstrate critical thinking and analysis and include peer-reviewed journal evidence to support the student’s position.
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format and use level headers for each discussion prompt.