- Write a brief summary of the main points for (language and power, health and wealth) of the reading selections assigned.
- Write a brief response to (language and power, health and wealth) of the reading selections assigned for your social issues. In your response you should identify and explain your perspective on your social issues.
Grammar and Mechanics
- Your paper should be written according to the standards for academic writing, with attention to the following:
- punctuation: this includes things such as proper use of commas, colons, and apostrophes.
- word-level accuracy: this includes things such as proper capitalization, spelling, word-tense, and usage.
- sentence-level accuracy: this includes things such as proper sentence boundaries, subject-verb agreement, and pronoun-antecedent agreement.
- Take time to proofread after you’ve written your essay. Think about the kinds of writing mistakes you tend to make (like using “text-speak” or sentence fragments) and watch out for those. Reading your paper aloud is a good way to catch any mistakes.
Sources and Documentation
- You are required to use two sources for this assignment. (language and power;health and wealth).
- Since your sources are from assigned course readings, you do not need to include formal citations. However, you should demonstrate basic attribution. This means you should reference the article titles and authors in your summary-response. For example:
In the reading selection, “Social Class and the Hidden Curriculum of Work,” Jean Anyon discusses how American schools are set up to fully educate students from upper-class backgrounds and to give a limited education to students from lower-class backgrounds.
Format and Length
- You should submit your summary-response for both readings in a single document/file.
- Your paper should include a proper header and title.
- Your paper should be typed, double-spaced and in 11 or 12-point font.
- Your summary and response for each of the reading selections should be a minimum of two paragraphs (about 400-500 words) in length. This means that your total document will be 4-8 paragraphs (about 800-1000 words) in length.
Sample Header and Title for Assignment Submissions
Summary-Response (assignment name)
Language and Power (title)
Link to sources: