1. Who are the Nacirema?
2. Why does Miner use this writing strategy to describe the Nacirema?
Lovely Hula Hands (Trask)
- After defining the terms norm, value, and belief provide an example of a Hawaiian norm, value and belief from the reading.
- How is the commercialization of Hawaiian culture analogous to prostitution, according to Trask?
- What is your reaction to Trask’s article? How do you think your own statuses (e.g. nationality, race, class, etc….) influence your reaction?
McDonald’s in Hong Kong: Consumerism, Dietary Change and the Rise of a Children’s Culture (Watson)
- What are some of the factors that allowed for the success of McDonald’s in Hong Kong?
- Give at least four examples of how McDonald’s culture has been localized in Hong Kong.
- In the beginning of the article, Watson poses the question, “Does the roaring success of McDonald’s and its rivals in the fast food industry mean that Hong Kong’s local culture is under siege (p. 152). And, “Are food chains helping to create a homogeneous, ‘global’ culture…” (p.152)? How does he ultimately answer these questions? Do you agree with his response? Why/why not?
Remember, there will be ten discussion opportunities during the quarter. You must participate in at least FIVE. You decide which five. I will drop your five lowest scores. Each post is worth 20 points. Extra posts do not equal extra credit. Strong posts will demonstrate understanding and connection to course materials and include citations/references (see grading rubric for details).
You also must respond to two peers’ responses to the prompt for the discussions in which you choose to participate. Responses are due by midnight on Wednesday. Responses should be at least 150 words each (put the word count in all responses). Replies should take the conversation further by adding questions or your own ideas in your replies. In addition, you can point out both strengths and areas of improvement on your peers’ submission. Strong posts will demonstrate understanding and connection to course materials. Each reply is worth 5 points, for a total of 10.
You have the opportunity to earn extra credit points by responding to your peers’ replies to your own thread (100 minimum word count, worth up to 2 points each). These are due on the same day as your other replies to peers. In order to ‘entice’ others to respond to you, and thus be able to take advantage of this extra credit opportunity, you will have to craft a strong original post that is engaging enough to others that they are interested in replying to it. Posting early in the discussion also helps 😉