Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review Chapter 21 of your textbook.
In this assignment, you will analyze current data mining practices and evaluate the pros and cons of data mining. Provide one example of a company that has successfully practiced data mining and discuss why they were successful. Then, research a company that experienced a failed data mining practice. What data mining best practices could they have implemented to avoid this failure?
In your paper,
- Discuss the industry standards for data mining best practices.
- Identify pitfalls in data mining, including practices that should be avoided.
- Provide an example of company that has successfully practiced data mining. What steps and precautions did they take to ensure the success of their data mining endeavor? How did they keep customer data safe?
- In a second example, research a company that experienced a failed data mining experience. What pitfalls did the organization fall into? What would you have done differently?
The Data Mining Best Practices paper
- Must be five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must utilize academic voice.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- Must use at least three credible sources in addition to the course text.
Grade is based on this criteria:
Discusses the Industry Standards for Data Mining Best Practices
Distinguished – Thoroughly discusses the industry standards for data mining best practices.
Identifies Pitfalls in Data Mining, Including Practices That Should Be Avoided
Distinguished – Clearly and accurately identifies pitfalls in data mining, including practices that should be avoided.
Provides an Example of a Company That Has Successfully Practiced Data Mining and Discusses How and Why They Were Successful
Distinguished – Provides a detailed, appropriate example of a company that has successfully practiced data mining, and thoroughly discusses how and why they were successful.
Provides an Example of Company That Experienced a Failed Data Mining Experience, and Identifies the Pitfalls in Their Data Mining Practice and What Could Have Been Done Differently
Distinguished – Provides a detailed, appropriate example of a company that experienced a failed data mining experience, and clearly and accurately identifies the pitfalls in their data mining practice and what could have been done differently.
Written Communication: Control of Syntax and Mechanics
Distinguished – Displays meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, such as spelling and grammar. Written work contains no errors and is very easy to understand.
Written Communication: APA Formatting
Distinguished – Accurately uses APA formatting consistently throughout the paper, title page, and reference page.
Written Communication: Resource Requirement
Distinguished – Uses more than the required number of scholarly sources, providing compelling evidence to support ideas. All sources on the reference page are used and cited correctly within the body of the assignment.
Written Communication: Page Requirement
Distinguished – The length of the paper is equivalent to the required number of correctly formatted pages.