Correct all the errors in each sentence below.
Correct all the errors in each sentence on page 2 but keep page 2 for your own diagnostic study. Turn in this page only.
1. (3) James Silver president of the new union had the priviledge of introducing the speaker.
2. (6) Brick is recommended as the building material but the board is giving serious consideration to a substitute.
3. (9) Available in white green and blue this paint is sold by dealers an over the country.
4. (12) Hogan’s article Retirement? Never!, printed in the current issue of Management Review, is really a part of his book A Report on Worker Security.
5. (15) A list of models, sizes, and prices of both competing lines are being sent to you.
Rewrite the following bad-news messages (sneak a peek at Chpt 7 before doing this)
(1) We will not be able to post these photos on the FCC web site. They do not meet the graphic standards due to the poor lighting and the low resolution of the photos. Professional photos were taken during the 2006 spring semester for a ELC brochure, perhaps you could review those and use one or two for the ELC web page. Let me know if you have any further questions, thank you,
(2) By failing to drop no show students from your class by “Census” date you have violated California Education Code and Title V. This may well cause an audit exception and as such will require an explanation. Please submit the reason for failing to abide by State regulations to the Vice President of Admissions and Records. This memo will be needed by September 29, 2006, to have on file for the auditor.
The State has directed the auditors to purposely look for this issue. I hope by having your note on file it will not cost the College any money or you any personal embarrassment for this violation. Please note this is a State mandated Education Code and Title V requirement that you have not followed. Please send the signed memo as soon as possible, but no later than September 28, 2006.
The following test is designed to give you a quick measure of your ability to handle some of the most troublesome punctuation and grammar situations. First, correct all the errors in each sentence. Then turn to Appendix A for the recommended corrections and the symbols for the punctuation and grammar standards involved. Next, study the standards that you violate.
- An important fact about this keyboard is, that it has the patented “ergonomic design”.
- Goods received on Invoice 2741 are as follows; 3 dozen blue denim shirts, size 15-33, 4 mens gortex gloves, brown, size large, and 5 dozen assorted socks.
- James Silver president of the new union had the priviledge of introducing the speaker.
- We do not expect to act on this matter however until we hear from you.
- Shipments through September 20, 2004 totaled 69,485 pounds an increase of 17 percent over the year ago total.
- Brick is recommended as the building material but the board is giving serious consideration to a substitute.
- Markdowns for the sale total $34,000, never before has the company done anything like this.
- After long experimentation a wear resistant high grade and beautiful stocking has been perfected.
- Available in white green and blue this paint is sold by dealers an over the country.
- Julie Jahn who won the trip is our most energetic salesperson.
- Good he replied, sales are sure to increase.
- Hogan’s article Retirement? Never!, printed in the current issue of Management Review, is really a part of his book A Report on Worker Security.
- Formal announcement of our Labor Day sale will be made in thirty two days.
- Each day we encounter new problems. Although they are solved easily.
- A list of models, sizes, and prices of both competing lines are being sent to you.
- The manager could not tolerate any employee’s failing to do their best.
- A series of tests were completed only yesterday.
- There should be no misunderstanding between you and I.
- He run the accounting department for five years.
- This report is considerable long.
- Who did you interview for the position?
- The report concluded that the natural resources of the Southwest was ideal for the chemical industry.
- This applicant is six feet in height, 28 years old, weighs 165 pounds, and has had eight years’ experience.
- While reading the report, a gust of wind came through the window, blowing papers all over the room.
- The sprinkler system has been checked on July 1 and September 3.