Chapter 9 & 10 Journal articles
- Journal Article 9.1: Crossman, B. and Crossman, J. (2011) ‘Conceptualising followership – a review of the literature’, Leadership, 7(4): 481–497.
- Journal Article 9.2: Agho, A.O. (2009) ‘Perspectives of senior-level executives on effective followership and leadership’, Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 16(2): 159–166.
- Journal Article 9.3: Larsson, M. and Nielsen, M.F. (2017) ‘The risky path to a followership identity: from abstract concept to situated reality’, International Journal of Business Communication. DOI: 10.1177/23294888417735648, pp. 1–28.
- Journal Article 10.1: Cook, A. and Glass, C. (2015) ‘Do minority leaders affect corporate practice? Analyzing the effect of leadership composition on governance and product development’, Strategic Organization, 13(2): 117–140
- Journal Article 10.2: Dreher, G.F. (2003) ‘Breaking the glass ceiling: the effects of sex ratios and work-life programs on female leadership at the top’, Human Relations, 56(5): 541–562.
After completing the reading this week, we reflect on a few key concepts this week:
- Discuss the key components of human resource management. Pick at least four concepts from chapter nine and describe how these concepts interrelate to individual performance on a team.
- Review table 9.2 and select one of the dimensions listed, note why it was chosen and how you relate to this behavior. If you have a personal experience, please share.
- How do leaders select the best talent? What are some tools they can use to select the best-talent?
Please be sure to answer all the questions above in the initial post.
Please ensure the initial post and two response posts are substantive. Substantive posts will do at least TWO of the following:
- Ask an interesting, thoughtful question pertaining to the topic
- Expand on the topic, by adding additional thoughtful information
- Answer a question posted by another student in detail
- Share an applicable personal experience
- Provide an outside source
- Make an argument
At least one scholarly (peer-reviewed) resource should be used in the initial discussion thread. Please ensure to use information from your readings and other sources from the UC Library. Use APA references and in-text citations.
Please be sure to engage by Wednesday at 11:59pm ET and then engage on two more days throughout the week (for a total of three days of engagement, before Sunday at 11:59pm, ET.
At UC, it is a priority that students are provided with strong educational programs and courses that allow them to be servant-leaders in their disciplines and communities, linking research with practice and knowledge with ethical decision-making. This assignment is a written assignment where students will demonstrate how this course research has connected and put into practice within their own career.
Provide a reflection of at least 500 words (or 2 pages double spaced) of how the knowledge, skills, or theories of this course have been applied, or could be applied, in a practical manner to your current work environment. If you are not currently working, share times when you have or could observe these theories and knowledge could be applied to an employment opportunity in your field of study.
Provide a 500 word (or 2 pages double spaced) minimum reflection.
Use of proper APA formatting and citations. If supporting evidence from outside resources is used those must be properly cited.
Share a personal connection that identifies specific knowledge and theories from this course.
Demonstrate a connection to your current work environment. If you are not employed, demonstrate a connection to your desired work environment.
You should not, provide an overview of the assignments assigned in the course. The assignment asks that you reflect how the knowledge and skills obtained through meeting course objectives were applied or could be applied in the workplace.
Don’t forget that the grade also includes the quality of writing.